Friday, June 12, 2009

Angels & Demons: The Da Vinci Code Prequel/Sequel

Well, the schoolyear is drawing to a close, which means projects, projects, projects.  Bah.

But I've finally managed to pry myself away from doing projects (or more to the point, avoiding them all together), to post a little review, of sorts.  On Tuesday night I went to see Angels & Demons, a movie I've been anticipating ever since I read the novel in 2007.  


It's Tom Hanks.  What could go wrong?

A couple of months ago I saw the teaser, and I was extremely excited.  So you can probably understand why I was horrified to discover that they had completely eviscerated the book.  While The Da Vinci Code stuck to Dan Brown's work in every way possible, Angels & Demons is like half of what it once was.  Scenes, characters, and several plot points seem to have been haphazardly, even clumsily, dropped from the story, taking a lot of what happens completely out of context.  

However, if you ignore these glaring omissions, it's not a bad adaptation.  The only parts cut are those that are not completely essential  to the story, everything else is treated with the respect it deserves.  The music is AWESOME, a pulse pounding variation on The Da Vinci Code's Theme.  Ewan MacGregor's performance as the Camarlengo is extremely well done, bringing out the very essence of the character (reading the book I actually always imagined him looking somewhat how he does in the movie).  

Would I recommend seeing it?  That depends.  If you're a fan of the book you probably won't like it, but if you've never read the book, you won't know the difference.  I'm not sure, to tell the truth.  I saw it, but in the end it's up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment