Friday, May 22, 2009

Photography Trip: Toronto

Yesterday's Toronto trip was, on the whole, a success. As you may or may not know, Toronto is the capital city of the province of Ontario. It's also the home of the CN Tower, one of the tallest free-standing structures in the world. I couldn't actually see the tower from where I was, so I don't have any pictures of it at the moment, but there's always next time....


Anyway, my photography teacher organized a field trip to the newly renovated Art Gallery of Ontario. I was one of the only people who had been there before, so I gave a couple of friends my own little "Guided Tour". Some of the stuff in there is pretty weird (like golf bag totem-poles), and I think most of us enjoyed it (I know I did).

The AGO
The AGO, with a new look designed by Frank Gehry.


But the best was yet to come, because on our lunch break, we split up to take photos in the city.  Just a few blocks away is Toronto's Chinatown district, a "city within the city".  Chinatown is a bustling marketplace, filled with shops, restaurants, and houses.

Chinatown

The Dragons on Spadina
The Heart of Chinatown


At the centre of all this is Spadina Avenue, a busy street that cuts right through the city.  Streetcar cables and tracks crisscross at the intersections, adding to the air of confusion that makes Chinatown so interesting.

Spadina Avenue
A shopping centre on Spadina Avenue.  Note the overhead Streetcar cables.


Just up the street from one of the shopping centres is a small store called AnimeXtreme, my primary source for Gunpla and other Anime products.  Since I don't get out to Toronto very often, I made sure to stop in and do a bit of shopping.  Once again, I now have no money.  Oh well, looks like I'll have to get a summer job, so that I can come back and buy more Gundam stuff that I don't really need.  XD

AnimeXtreme
The storefront of AnimeXtreme.  The sign out front has been enhanced to make it easier to read.


But wait, you say, what did I buy when I was there?  Take a wild guess.  Yes, that's right, it was Gunpla.  How did you know!?  You're not a mind-reader, are you?  Can you guess what number I'm thinking of?

No comments:

Post a Comment