Sunday, September 13, 2009

Toronto, Again

I'm posting on Sunday, yet again.  I was in Toronto yesterday (yet again).  Less than a week after FanExpo finished, I just couldn't stay away.  The problem is, the TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) was on, and the streets were even more choked with people than usual.

I stopped by this fun little Japanese Hobby store and picked up a couple of Gundam figurines.  These are random, so you never know what's in the box.  When I saw that one of the possibilities was a 1/300 scale MSN-04 Sazabi, my heart leapt.  The Sazabi is my favourite Mobile Suit of all time (subject to change, if something more awesome comes along), with the GN-Flag being a close second, of course.  So I picked one of the medium weight boxes (Sazabi is bulky, not fat!) hoping, but not really believing, that I might get lucky.  After all, the gods of irony and I have never exactly seen eye to eye.  But I guess fate threw me a curveball, because the moment I opened the box, what should I find but a Sazabi in all its miniature red glory!  Wait, I've had this dream before....

The other figurine was, perhaps befittingly, Allelujah Haptism.  After all, I did get Soma Peries at FanExpo, so I think that makes perfect sense.  Opposites attract, after all.


There's some interesting new lighting tricks at work here, for the enjoyment of you, the audience.  I'm thinking of upgrading my background, but you'll probably never notice any difference.



There they are, in all their epic... plastic.  The Sazabi also came with a Beam Rifle and a display stand.





You may not be able to tell from these pictures, but Allelujah is tall.  Next to Soma, he looks ridiculously tall.  I know she was pretty short in the Anime, but the Soma Peries I got at FanExpo must be a different scale, or something, because she's simply dwarfed by Allelujah.

Maybe I'll take a picture of them side by side, so you can see just how laughably tall he really is.



However, after all that, the gods of irony couldn't resist the chance to flout my victory.  In the ultimate insult, they ensured that the Sazabi's weapon hand was clogged with paint, making it impossible to attach the Beam Rifle.

Why can the gods of irony not fight with honour?

2 comments:

  1. It wasn't irony,it was karma for saying the GN-Flag was second( I should tell Nena Trinity you're having fun for that heresy ).
    I don't really like Allelujah's pose though.
    And do my eyes decieve me?
    Is that Graham Aker on the back of that box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your eyes do not deceive you. It is he.

    ReplyDelete